Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015

SA FILMMAKERS HAPPY ABOUT TORONTO FILM FESTIVAL

SA FILMMAKERS HAPPY ABOUT TORONTO FILM FESTIVAL

A group of South African filmmakers who attended the 40th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) in Canada returns home today with high energy and more enthusiasm to put their shoulders on the wheel, complete their films and documentaries and take them to the international market. The 20 filmmakers were funded by the Department of Trade and Industry (the dti) with the aim of providing them with exposure to the international film and production market as well as an opportunity for them to market their projects internationally.
“TIFF was very fruitful to me. I have met a number of producers from other countries that have shown interest in working with me in co-productions. I also met a representative of a filmmaking company that expressed interest in providing me with funding for my project. The company has offices in Canada and South Africa. The best part of this is that should all go well, they will assist me with all the production stages of my documentary titled Black Sunday and sign it up to premiere at the Durban International Film Festival before bringing it to Toronto,” says Mr Raps Selogile from Soweto
Nigel-based Mr Lillo Bergh said he benefitted immensely from the variety of industry conferences that were held at TIFF to afford filmmakers an opportunity to exchange ideas with experts from different countries.
“The session on financing niche projects stood out for me. Learning how to finance niche projects such as web series was of great benefit to me,” said Berg. He added that meeting other filmmakers from South Africa was another highlight of his trip to Toronto.
“It was great interacting with fellow filmmakers from home. It was for the first time that I met most of them and we really shared a lot of ideas amongst ourselves. This will assist all of us work together and give each other advice on our projects when we are back home,” said Berg.
For Ms Ikanyeng Motlhamme, a budding filmmaker from Cape Town just attending an international festival was an amazing and memorable experience.
“I held brief discussions with many filmmakers from all over the world and am looking forward to communicating with them when I’m back home to discuss possible assistance with my project. I am hoping that the contacts I have made at TIFF will really go a long way in enabling me to open international doors for my films in future. The industry sessions were greatly invaluable. We got the kind of information that one keeps on referring to for the rest of your career,” said Motlhamme.
Johannesburg filmmaker, Mr Isaac Mogajane says his project The Flats, attracted lot of interest at TIFF
“There is quite a number of people who are interested in partnering with us for co-production as well as big sales companies that would like to get involved in the project. TIFF was really good for us. From now we will be working hard to finalise the script and send it out to numerous people that we have been speaking to and then we will see which one of them offers us the best deal. It is likely to be a Canadian-South African co-production project,” said Mogajane.

Ms Claire Louis, who is also from Johannesburg and is part of the company that has produced Hear Me Move, said she also spoke to an international distributor who has shown interest in her company’s 3D animated film that is in early developmental stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment